The Association of Black Employees (ABE) is a medium through which Black employees at Illinois State University participate in shared governance. The Association’s purpose is to serve in an advisory capacity to University administrators, faculty, staff, and students regarding the general welfare of all Black employees at Illinois State University.
ABE shall function primarily to define, represent, and advance the interests of Black employees at ISU. ABE functions to promote the professional and personal growth and development of Black employees.
The Association shall achieve its mission by:
- Supporting the holistic needs of the individual employee.
- Providing opportunities for social engagement.
- Reviewing the performance of University administration, faculty, and service areas as issues indicate and/or circumstance permit.
- Devising means to support, and effectively lobby for programs/policies to its constituency.
- Developing relationships internally and externally with underrepresented groups by sponsoring programs that nurture a sense of community and common cause among its constituency and relevant to the University mission.
- Acting as a liaison to the University administration on issues relative to recruitment, retention, and advancement of Black faculty, staff, and students.